Dharma Study Program
Gain a grounding in the teachings through reading, guidance, and discussion.
The 2019-2020 Dharma Study Program will begin in the fall. Details, when available, will be posted here.
For those who are serious about liberation—or “the heart’s sure release” (as the Buddha called it)—the importance of a solid grounding in Dharma teachings cannot be overemphasized.
Here is some feedback on previous years’ Dharma Study Programs:
- “How wonderful to investigate the Dharma… I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to participate.”
- “Being able to study…with a group of like-minded friends was extremely helpful. The light, joyful, open atmosphere was very pleasant.”
- “I really feel I got a taste of the Dharma…The balance of meditation, group discussions, questions and answers, and socializing was ideal.”
If you wish to participate in the Dharma Study Program, we ask you to:
- meditate regularly
- uphold the Five Precepts and try to integrate them into your daily life
- complete the readings and attend the study group meetings
You may find the following books to be helpful preparation, especially if you are new to the Dharma Study Program:
- Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness by Bhante Gunaratana
- The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi
Course Structure, Fall 2019–Winter 2020
Dharma Study Program meetings are held on Saturdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Unless otherwise noted, meetings are at the Society of Friends (Quakers) House.
Meetings take place roughly once a month from September to March; dates and readings will be posted when available.
Participants are divided into groups, which meet to discuss the readings. Some suggested topics for discussion are:
- What did you find most helpful in the readings?
- How did these readings impact your practice and life?
At each session, volunteers are chosen to offer a presentation of the assigned reading for the next session.
11:00–12:00 Taking of Precepts and sitting meditation
12:00–12:30 Presentation of the readings
12:30–1:00 Tea break
1:00–1:50 Group discussions
2:00–3:00 Opportunity for groups to briefly ask questions on topics that they would like to have clarified; teachers’ comments; and then close with sitting
Payment prior to the beginning of the program ensures placement. Please note that payment is non-refundable. For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org