Dharma Study Program
For those who are serious about liberation — or “the heart’s sure release” (as the Buddha called it) — the importance of having a solid grounding in Dharma teachings cannot be overemphasized.
The 2021-2022 Dharma Study Program (also referred to as the Home Study Program) will begin in the fall. We meet roughly once a month from September to March, on Saturdays. More details to come.
The feedback about the program has been very positive. Here is a sampling:
- “How wonderful to investigate the Dharma… I’m so grateful to have had the opportunity to participate.”
- “Being able to study…with a group of like-minded friends was extremely helpful. The light, joyful, open atmosphere was very pleasant.”
- “I really feel I got a taste of the Dharma… The balance of meditation, group discussions, questions and answers, and socializing was ideal.”
If you wish to participate in the Dharma Study Program, we ask you to:
- Meditate regularly.
- Uphold the Five Precepts and try to integrate them into your daily life.
- Complete the readings and attend the study group meetings.
You may find the following books to be helpful preparation, especially if you are new to the program:
- Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness by Bhante Gunaratana
- The Noble Eightfold Path: The Way to the End of Suffering by Bhikkhu Bodhi
At each session, a volunteer offers a presentation of the assigned reading.
Participants are divided into groups to discuss the readings. Some suggested topics for discussion are:
- What did you find most helpful in the readings?
- How did these readings impact your practice and life?
9:00 – 9:50 Saturday Morning Meditation (we will begin with taking of Precepts and Refuges)
10:00 – 10:30 Presentation of the readings
10:30 – 11:30 Group discussions
11:30 – 12:30 Opportunity for groups to ask questions or make comments; close with sitting
You will be sent the Zoom link when your registration is received.
- Regular: $90
- SIMT supporter: $70