Weekly Mindfulness Meditation
Join us on Zoom on Tuesday nights at 7. (If you are prompted to download the Zoom app, please do.)
7:00—7:50 p.m. Sitting meditation with guidance
8:00—8:30 Dharma talk
If you have questions regarding the talk or your personal practice, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will address questions during the next Dharma talk.
In-Person Program (on Hold)
Join us Tuesday evenings for meditation and a Dharma talk at the Society of Friends (Quakers) House, 60 Lowther Avenue, in Toronto.
We begin at 7:00 p.m. (please arrive early so you can be in your seat by that time) and end at 8:45 PM. Parking is available on the street. Please do not use the Friends House parking lot.
The Tuesday evening program is for those interested in the liberating practices of Insight Meditation (Vipassana) as taught by the Buddha. These practices have benefited countless people for more than two millennia. Our program is geared to those already committed to meditation practice, or who sincerely wish to explore it. This being the case, we ask that you follow these very important guidelines:
- Cell phones and texting devices are not allowed in the meditation hall. Please be sure to turn off your device before entering the hall, and leave it off for the duration of the evening.
- Please arrive on time. If you arrive late, enter the Friends House through the front door, and meditate quietly on the bench in the back hallway (outside the meditation hall). You can join the meditation when the bell rings to end a period of sitting.
- Please do not come and go during meditation or talks. If you know you will need to leave early, please sit at the back. Otherwise, please remain until the evening has ended, after the talk and final announcements.
- It is fine to quietly and mindfully change your sitting posture if you need to.
- Please don’t use your water bottle during the sitting periods (it is fine to do so during the standing meditation).
To help open the heart and awaken compassion, Metta (Loving-kindness) meditation may also be introduced. Metta is an essential practice that helps us integrate the calm insight of Vipassana into our everyday lives.
The Tuesday night schedule includes two periods of meditation, a brief standing meditation, and a Dharma talk based on the early teachings of the Buddha. Podcasts of previous Dharma talks can be found online.
The Tuesday program is offered at no charge.
However, Dana (donations for the teachings) is greatly appreciated.